Saturday, June 16, 2012

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Question: Well, did you think I was going to see this one?

Okay, I didn't really want to but I do have kids and its summer, so we headed to the theatre to check out the only animated film at the cinema: Madagascar 3. Usually, I am not a big fan sequels especially when a series gets to the number 3 or 4 spot, but I caved when my kids asked. What's a mother to do?

Anyway, I will keep this review short.

First, I was pleasantly entertained, although this film wasn't as good as the first one but far better than the second. As with many animated movies there was a moral to the story. And as a mother, I appreciated that. However, the moral in this one may be a bit mature for most young kids as it has something to do with leaving home and learning you make your home where ever you end-up and that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

The story started and jumped right into the adventure very quickly with the foursome still stuck in Africa. Marty, Alex, Melman and Gloria are still waiting on the penguins to return to take them back to the Bronx Zoo. So they decide to go to Monte Carlo to find them....yep, if they can go to Monte Carlo, why can't they get back to the good ol USA? Got me. Anyway, they get there and immediately make an enemy and a few new friends whilst looking for their rescuers. That is all I will tell you about the story of the latest Madagascar movie. 

The animation was spectacular. It really blows my mind what animators can do today. The detail, the depth of shapes and movements are a sight to see. This was a huge adventure movie with lots to see and to keep the kiddos fascinated. And we didn't even see it in 3D. So for that reason alone I recommend taking the kiddos to see this one at the theatre.

Most of the humor is definitely geared more towards children, but once in a while they threw in one or two for the adults. So enjoy Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.

Directed by Eric Darnell, Tom McGrath, Conrad Vernon, Dreamworks Animation, 2012

Starring Ben Stiller, Jada Pinkett-Smith, David Schwimmer, Chris Rock, Sacha Baron Cohen, Cedric the Entertainer, Andy Richter, Jessica Chastain, Brian Cranston, Martin Short and Frances McDormand.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy

My favorite thing: Honestly, the animation was spectacular.

My least favorite thing: There really isn't anything to complain about.

Length: 93 minutes
Rating: PG

Review: 7 out of 10

Click on poster below to watch instantly or order DVDs:



No comments: