Saturday, June 11, 2011

Super 8

Directed (and written by) J.J. Abrams, Amblin Entertainment, 2011. Starring Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, and Kyle Chandler.

Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi, Thriller.

Question: How many times have you seen a movie with your parents and your children together? I will say it is not that often for me. However, I just watched Super 8 with my parents, my husband, and both my children. Although the reviews are not all the same everyone enjoyed the film. I, however, loved it!

It is very rare to see a movie, today, that receives so much hype and it turns out as good as or better than expected. When we have expectations of films or film-makers somehow, someway something always seems to fall short. Well, not with Super 8.

The trailer is the first place that they got it right. Previews didn't show too much and there wasn't an actor hired for the movie to help draw in the crowds. You may recognize a few of the actors but right this second I can't recall one name except Elle Fanning. (Her sister is rather famous and I type in the actors names after I write my reviews unless I know it.  Okay, most of the time I know it but this time -- nope.)

Second, there is a story in Super 8 that has a moral but not thrown in your face or preachy. I wish I could divulge what it is but, again, I don't want to spoil this one for you. There are several films that Super 8 reminded me of - at least four from my youth. I can't tell you which ones or it will give it away. But trust me -- the storytelling is exceptional and Super 8  is worth the months of waiting.

However, I will say regarding the similar movies, I was lucky enough to have grown up during the '70's and '80's when some of these classic films were first released. These movies were for my generation. They didn't talk down to us or make us the seen and not heard type of kids. Super 8 does the same thing for this generation of kids.

Children today, in many television series and movies, represent a bratty, bored or unintelligent lot -- and sometimes all three. Yes, I know I am exaggerating here, but hopefully you see my point. Super 8 takes a group of middle-school aged children, who all have a goal in mind, each struggling with their own issues, but all discover that listening to their instinct is a good thing.

Now I am not going to tell you anything about the movie in specifics, like most of my reviews.  But I will tell you this is a great story by a great storyteller, J.J. Abrams. Yes, I wouldn't take young children to see this mainly because of the language and the scare-factor. My 9 year-old was a little scared but she is tough. Once she got through to the end and really thought about the movie -- it wasn't so scary to her.

I so imagine J.J. Abrams is clearly represented in this movie as one of the children, and feel he told this tale to pay homage to other great film-makers/storytellers, who will remain nameless, but you will figure it out. Trust me.

Regarding the storyline, Super 8 has a group of children making a movie on super 8 film in the late '70's. That much I can tell you. And if any of you out there love movies half as much as I do you will enjoy this film immensely. These kids go on an adventure while making the movie that is something that I think every young film-maker dreamt of.

For you special effects lovers out there, this one delivered. Plus, don't get up and walk-out at the end of the movie. Stay through the credits.

Now what did my family think of Super 8? I will list the three generations from youngest to oldest.

Daughter - 9 out of 10
Son - 10 out of 10
Husband - 7 out of 10
Mother - 7 out of 10
Father - 6 out of 10

My favorite thing: That it lived up to all the hype. Plus, the humor.

My least favorite thing: That the story has already been told but it didn't bother me all that much.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 113 minutes

Review: 9 out of 10

1 comment:

Sachi said...

SO thrilled that you went to watch this yesterday! I am such a dedicated TOP addict that I had to wait to see what your review said before we went to go watch it. As a fellow movie enthusiast Im sure you can imagine how difficult that was for me (lol). SO SUPER EXCITED you went to see it so soon and that you reviewed it so quickly. Looking forward to watching it tonight with the family~ I too will be bringing my mom and dad~ THANKS AGAIN!!!