Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Perfect Getaway

Directed by David Twohy, Rouge, 2009. Starring Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich, Timothy Olyphant, and Chris Hemsworth.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller.

Question: Where did you go on your honeymoon? Was it someplace tropical with soft white sand and tall fruity rum drinks? You are having a wonderful time enjoying the scenery, being together and occasionally conversing with others. Did you meet another couple and end up chatting with them? "A nice couple", you think. Think again. WOW! I am so glad I went to Disney World for my honeymoon.

I recorded A Perfect Getaway last week but finally watched it tonight while my husband went out with his friends and my children watched yet another episode of The Amazing World of Gumball. The movie came out a couple of years ago and I considered watching it then but never got around to it. I was too busy then discovering my love of writing.

Well, I am still writing but have the time finally to watch this thriller. Now, I should tell you that I am very critical of thrillers. First, they may be my favorite genre. There is nothing better when you don't really know what's going on in a story until the reveal. But so many thrillers are so easy to figure out that I am usually bored with the film within the first 30 minutes. However, A Perfect Getaway kept me interested.

Of course, the writers used a few tricks and I loved all the references to screenwriting. Seriously, the characters consistently talked about screenwriting - that kept me watching.  These writers knew what they were doing. At least for the first half.

The actors were well cast. Steve Zahn, who can play goofy, sweet, innocent and idiotic well, did a great job as the lead character. His wife, played by Milla Jovovich, was a little out of balance with his character. I mean, she is drop-dead gorgeous and he is...um...kind of...cute. It didn't fit but that is the kicker, isn't it. First trick!

Timothy Olyphant plays this military, rugged dude on vacation with his hot girlfriend. Now they matched well. But that is yet another trick. I really can't tell you much more except to say this one surprised even me. However, there was the reveal (great twist) and then it went on way too long with many scenes with tons of dialogue. Show, people - not tell!!!

Now the best surprise, at least for us female viewers - Chris "Thor" Hemsworth was in this movie! Now he wasn't in it for long but he was shirtless for every scene. (This is for you Sachi. Enjoy!)

Yes, I jumped a few times; Yes, I got that tight feeling in my chest when there was a tense scene; And yes, I would recommend this one. But it fell short as being the ultimate thriller - at least for me. So, all-in-all it was a good movie viewing night.

My favorite thing: The twist in the plot.

My least favorite thing: The reveal method.

Random thought: Now I have to tell you about one of my all time favorite scenes stars Steve Zahn. We rented Happy, Texas a decade or so where he plays an escaped prisoner. He and his partner pretend to be gay pageant professionals to blend in. Now, before you get anything in your head - I must tell you that Steve Zahn's character was a redneck with handlebar mustache and a thick southern drawl. It was a cute movie but there is one scene where he has to show the little pageant contestants their dance routine. PRICELESS! I think we rewound it 3 times. I have never laughed so hard watching a movie.

Rating: R
Length: 98 minutes

Review: 6 out of 10







No comments: