Saturday, August 6, 2011

Soundtrack: Cold Mountain

I was off somewhere walking today and songs kept coming up on my IPod and I noticed that most of them came from a movie. Go figure. When I got back home I noticed the soundtrack was not on the top 100 soundtrack list I talk about. So, I am going to share with you all one of my favorite soundtracks: Cold Mountain.

When this movie came out in 2003 I did not see it. I can't really say why. I did hear that it was a romance, and I do like a good one. Someone told me the two lovers fell in love based on a few glances and one kiss so I was a little skeptical. However, someone told me later that part of it was filmed at my old college, so I eventually rented it.

I will tell you I kicked myself for not seeing it in the movie theatre after I watched it one day alone. Although I was grateful for the privacy because I usually don't like people seeing me cry. Yes, it was a romance - a big one and a sad one. Anyway, I was blown away by this movie. I got totally sucked into the romance, all the characters and the scenery. There was one character who was a complete treat to watch and unlike any other she had played before: Renee Zellweger's. I think she was even nominated actually for that performance.

In addition to the wonderful romantic story line of  Cold Mountain  it was the music in it that kept me even more engaged. Alison Krauss, who may have one of the best voices on the planet, sings a couple of songs on the soundtrack: "The Scarlet Tide" and "You Will Be My Ain True Love" and they were also nominated for a Grammy and an Oscar. The latter song makes my heart sing. It may be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Plus, Sting sings on it as well - not a bad combinations of voices.




I actually loved hearing every single song in the movie but I really enjoyed watching the movie when I saw Jack White act and sing in Cold Mountain. I love him! I ended up running to the music store to buy the CD about thirty minutes after it ended (and I had collected myself). Yes, Jack White from The White Stripes.  He sang some older songs on the album/movie but he wrote one specifically for the movie: "Never Far Away". However, it is his version of  "Wayfaring Stranger" that made me pay close attention.



I am not sure I can say enough good things about this soundtrack. Perhaps my love for old-timey or Appalachian Mountain music is why I love this soundtrack so much. I listen to, at least, one or two songs from it everyday. Oh, I also love the a capella song "Lady Margaret". Okay, sorry, I just had to squeeze one more in.

I hope you take a gander at the movie and the soundtrack. You won't regret it.

Cold Mountain (Music from the Motion Picture) - Various Artists

2 comments:

Bill Friday said...

I have never lived more than an hour away from the heart of Los Angeles. But when I listen to the sounds of Cold Mountain, I feel the pull deep within myself to the places where my American ancestors came from (yeah, the Ozarks... really), and when I hear Allison Krause in particular, I hear the sounds of my own DNA echoing somewhere between my ears and my soul.

Thanks for this reminder.

Tired of Previews said...

You are most welcome!! :-)