Friday, August 5, 2011

Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Directed by Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, Carousel Productions  2011. Starring Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Question: What are some of the words you use to describe love? I can think of many but that would take up this entire blog post. I just came back from seeing a movie that may have put some definitions in perfect order and more succinctly than I could: Crazy, Stupid, Love.

I am still undecided if I liked this movie or not. I liked all the actors in it; I laughed (no, I did not cry); I got a little bored and even rolled my eyes a couple of times. So I am unsure but by the time I finish typing this review I will have figured it out.

First, let me tell you I love Steve Carell. He is just one of those actors that can make me laugh, sympathize with and want to just hang out and chat. He can do funny, sweet, uncomfortable, sad and vulnerable all with one look. Did you not see Little Miss Sunshine? Well, he did that there. He is a man whose wife, played by Julianne Moore, asks for a divorce and he ends up turning the situation into figuring out who he is and have a little fun while doing it.

That's where Ryan Gosling's character comes in to save Steve Carell's character from his dorkiness. Oh, I love Ryan Gosling too. Sure, he is good looking but I think he is one of the best young actors out there today. Usually he plays dramatic roles (Blue Valentine), overly romantic roles (The Notebook) or psychological dramas (Fracture & Stay - yes, with Ewan McGregor). However, in Crazy, Stupid, Love. he plays up on his comedic talents. He isn't as over the top with the laughs as Steve Carell but he had some good ones that cracked a smile on this face.

There were some funny scenes with the 2 male lead characters that I can't divulge but some of the previews already did. So, let's switch it over the the ladies of this movie. Julianne Moore, as I mentioned before, is Steve Carell's wife. I think her character was a bit weak but necessary to the story so I can't really fault the writers. Then there was Emma Stone's character. In the beginning you aren't sure why she is part of this yet. Just wait.

Now, by time it got to the middle of the movie almost every character's dilemmas were in place then I became more interested. This is where Emma Stone's character comes back in the story and her issue with the thing they call love. Hannah, (Emma Stone) after having a huge disappointment, did something that I think every girl has always wanted to do but never had the guts. I won't say what but it's good. I also enjoyed the next scene as well because it was so real, funny and it referenced movies. (Okay, maybe I did like this movie a little.)

There were a few children in Crazy, Stupid, Love. and sometimes we adults forget that they fall in love too. There was the son of Steve Carrel's character in love with an older "woman". It was a great addition to all the adult love dilemmas. Also, he may have had one of the best scenes of the movie with giving the best summary of a book we all read in high school. (Okay, maybe I liked this movie a little more.)

I have to admit that there was probably one of the best compliments a man could give to a women in this movie. I won't reveal what it is but if you see the movie you'll see what I mean. (Yep, I liked this movie.)

All-in-all this was a sweet movie. I don't say that a lot about films but this one deserves that definition. Also, isn't love sweet sometimes?

My favorite thing: What Emma Stone did in the bar in the middle of the movie.

My least favorite thing: The graduation speech.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 118 minutes

Review: 6 out of 10






No comments: