Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fright Night

Directed by Craig Gillespie, Albuquerque Studios, 2011, Starring Colin Farrell, Anton Yelcin, Toni Collette, David Tennant and Imogen Poots.

Genre: Comedy, Horror

Question: Do you ever decide that you want to conquer your fears because you are tired of being so scared? Well, let me tell you I just tried facing my fear of horror movies with Fright Night today. It was a bad idea - a very bad idea.

I should tell you I saw the original and didn't find that one all that scary and I love a good vampire story (and Colin Farrell as a vampire - I mean, come on!). So I was kind of thinking I could handle this one, no problem. Well, I was wrong - very, very wrong. However, it wasn't so much the movie that scared me but what led up to it. It sort of made me rethink the whole conquering fear thingy.

First, I show up to the theatre thinking it starts at 10:45am. I wanted that show because that was the only one that wasn't 3D. But when I get there the first showing wasn't until 11:00am and it was 3D. Damn! Fine...

So, then I get into the theatre and take my seat and realized I didn't have my headphones. I usually sit in the theatre and listen to my IPod so as to block out others and avoid hearing the previews. Damn! Previews start and here is where the chicken that I am starts to take a hold...

The first preview is The Thing where the lead character's name was Kate. I remember John Carpenter's version and that one scared me to tears but the "Kate" thing started my heart pounding a little. Next preview: Paranormal Activity 3 starts with two little girls where the oldest girl is called Katie. Ummm, perhaps I should mention now that my name is Katy.

Alright, still having to listen to (and sometimes peek at) the previews with eerily haunting music playing, people screaming or calling for help, and then hearing my name a few times I started to panic a little. However, I really started freaking out when I realized I was the only one in the entire theatre. My heart started pounding more, my legs soon curled up to my chest and I started wanting my stuffed animal from my youth, Herman the whale. And the movie hadn't even started yet.

Next preview: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark starring Katie Holmes. Really!! Next preview was for Straw Dogs starring Kate Bosworth. I AM NOT KIDDING!! Yes, I am actually freaking out because every horror movie preview they are showing has my name or a variation of my name somehow connected to the film. That was just too coincidental for my taste. Luckily, the next preview was for Harold and Kumar with some Christmas movie, and I am thoroughly glad I had not taken what they usually take or the paranoia would have be at an all time high (sorry for the pun).

I started to relax after the last preview but then there was another preview. Dam...oh wait, it is for a vampire movie. I don't mind those. It was for Underworld Awakeningbut then I remembered who stars in that series... let's say it together... Kate Beckinsale! Alright, enough of the Kates and Katies but that one I will see. I loved the first Underworld so I was happy at that moment.

However, just when I thought it was safe...a summer teenage movie preview started and there was a lake...oh, and by this point we, I mean, I had to put on the 3D glasses...where was I? Oh yeah, there was a lake and...sharks! Shark Night 3D. Seriously!? Did I ever mention that I don't go in the ocean anymore? I was done and completely terrified by that point. No headphones, all the horror movie previews with all the Kates/Katies, and I was all alone. Help me...

I was supposed to talk about Fright Night wasn't I? Well, I sat through the movie, giggled a little, enjoyed seeing Colin Farrell almost shirtless, and watched some decent acting through a campy story all while my heart was racing because the majority of the movie is set in the dark. Remember I said I was all alone and now in a dark theatre with plenty of blood and guts seemingly beaming right out of the screen towards me? This may be the dumbest idea I have ever had. At least I knew how it was going to end. Trust me I kept praying for it to end because I really needed to go to the bathroom but was too chicken to stand up and walk out.

The 3D effects were not needed at all but one got me. Damn! Now I might need to find Herman and sleep with him tonight. Anyway, all-in-all it was a tolerable movie. It probably wasn't all that scary but I think I was just set up to be a tiny bit more scared than most. I did enjoy a surprise or two and there was one 10 second moment where I wouldn't have run away either from the vampire (Mr. Colin Farrell). Y'all will just have to see the movie to figure that one out.

Now for the end of the movie: The credits come on but the theatre remains dark and I can't stand up. It's too dark and the after-effects of the last two hours have a strong hold on me. And let me tell you my Iphone does not have a very bright screen. So, I sat there until the lights came on and almost ran out into the sunlight...Yep, I am a chicken and I will not being seeing another horror movie in the theatre for a long, long time.

So, what did I learn today about conquering fears? Well, it sucks and I think I need to change my name.

My favorite thing: I am at a loss for words on that one.

My least favorite thing: That I will probably be sleeping with Herman tonight.

Rating: R
Length: 106 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10

Click on film posters to view instantly:



2 comments:

Dan O. said...

Nice Review! The tone may be all over the place, but it still has a lot of fun to it with blood, guts, and gore flying at you with good performances from the cast, especially Farrell who seems like he’s just having a ball with this role. Check out my review when you can!

Tired of Previews said...

Thanks Dan -I think I would have enjoyed more if..well, you read the review. Thanks for commenting.

Katy