Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Horrible Bosses

Directed by Seth Gordon, New Line Cinema, 2011. Starring Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Andy Sudeiskis, Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell.

Genre: Comedy

Question: Who here has had a horrible boss? Yep, pretty much everyone. I had one or two - that's for sure. But now I am my own boss and I am lovin' life. Anyway, how many of you ever considered killing your boss just so you didn't have to deal with their crap anymore? Well, that's what Horrible Bosses explores but in one of the most hilarious movie I have seen in a long time! (And, yes, I don't recommend anyone actually consider killing their employer - just putting that one out there, okay?)

This stars Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Andy Sudeikis as three friends with the world's worst bosses. They are played by Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell. I may have never seen worse employers - ever. But, boy, was it funny to witness.

Jason Bateman, who is the most serious of all disgruntled employees, had the pleasure of sucking up to Kevin Spacey in hopes of getting a promotion. I am still undecided if he was the worst of the three right now. However, he may have been my favorite to watch. Kevin Spacey can play the best jerks (wish to say an expletive here but not sure if youngsters read my blog) so it was easy to enjoy that performance.

Charlie Day, who I must admit I don't really know his work all that well and he reminds me a bit of Bobcat Goldthwait, plays a dental hygienist with the horniest boss on the planet. The dentist is played BRILLIANTLY by Jennifer Aniston. This may be her best role yet. Now this movie is rated R and besides a lot of profanity I think it was for her performance that helped garner that rating. Yes, every male will probably enjoy this one and that's all I am going to say about that!

Andy Sudeiskis, who I believe is an SNL regular, had probably the worst boss - a balding, comb-over, drug-taking scumbag  played rather so-so by Colin Farrell. I usually like Colin Farrell and he could have had a lot to fun with this particular character but somehow it sort of fell short for me.

Now as you know I am not going to reveal the entire plot. But if you have seen the previews you know what the premise is; and I will say that it goes off in a different direction than I was expecting. I laughed out loud A LOT - said "Oh my god!" more than I can count and even had to cover my eyes a few times for fear of being sick in the theater. That wouldn't have made for good movie watching after that.

I recommend Horrible Bosses especially for a good laugh. It is definitely not one for the kids and if you are easily offended - skip it. However, if you desire to watch this film - be prepared to giggle, be a little shocked and what ever you do - don't leave during the credits. I believe I laughed harder during those than the entire movie.

My favorite thing: Kevin Spacey - he really does play that "type" very, very well!

My least favorite thing: Let's just say it involves toiletries and leave it at that. OK!

Rating: R
Length: 100 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10

No comments: