Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Soundtrack: Once

I know I have been listing the top 100 Soundtracks of all time from but the list was created a while back by Entertainment Weekly. There are so many more soundtracks that have come out over the last five years that I simply cannot go any longer without sharing some with you.

One of my all time favorite soundtracks: Once

First, the movie holds a special place in my heart. I wasn't expecting much from the small indie Irish film but after I watched it I knew it was going into my top 10 favorite movies of all time! I know I don't normally expose my favorites but I can't keep this one a secret any longer. This movie just makes me smile.

We rented it not knowing much about it but heard there was some decent music in it. That got my attention. After we hit play and sat there for less than a minute the camera slowly focuses on a street musician played by Glen Hansard. He is standing there with a beat-up guitar in some nondescript Dublin alleyway. Then he belts out the song: Say It to Me Now - Once (Music from the Motion Picture).

I was speechless. His voice, his intensity, his emotion provoked a strong but silent reaction in me. You know that feeling you get when you realize you are witnessing something truly special. I smiled - broadly but my chest muscles tightened and I almost started to cry. The emotions I felt were unexpected but I was hooked.

At that point I didn't know what the movie was about but was excited to see more music. Then the plot is exposed when a young women, played by Marketa Irglova, shows up to watch the street musician play. Now if you haven't seen the story I won't tell you anymore - obviously. This story is about a friendship although many argue that it is really a love story. Or vice-versa. I think it is about both.

Now my favorite song in Once has to be When Your Mind's Made Up - Once (Music from the Motion Picture) You cannot get more emotional than this song. Glen Hansard has this ability to take his voice to a certain intense level that commands attention!

I hope you check out the movie as well as the soundtrack. You won't be sorry.

No comments: