Monday, July 11, 2011

Soundtrack: This is Spinal Tap

Back on the top 100 Soundtrack list (Entertainment Weekly). And the next one is great. This is Spinal Tap comes at #86.

Now if you haven't seen this movie - I am so sorry. This may be one of the funniest movies I have seen in my life - ever! It took me a long time to watch it because I was too young when it came out in 1984. For a decade I had heard many of the jokes so I was reluctant to see it but finally succumbed to the peer pressure one weekend. What a treat!! I found This is Spinal Tap to be a genius approach to creating a story and hilarious - especially since I went through, albeit brief, heavy metal stage in my youth. Just thinking about it now cracks me up.

Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer - all wrote the music, script and starred as the main characters. Directed by Rob Reiner.

Now when it comes to the music of this film - I am not sure I would call it great but it is funny as heck. Just check out some of the names of the songs. "Stonehenge" (may be one of my favorite scenes), "Big Bottom", "Sex Farm" and "Tonight I'm Gonna to Rock You Tonight". (No, that is not a typo)

I hope this inspires you to see this movie for the first time or for your tenth. Enjoy!

COMING SOON: Beginners

No comments: