Monday, September 26, 2011

Soundtrack: Out of Africa

Coming in at EW's top soundtracks  at #78 on the top soundtracks is Out of Africa. The soundtrack won the Academy Award for Best Original Score that year. John Barry was the composer/conductor for Out of Africa, and based on one of my top 10 favorite soundtracks of all time - Dances with Wolves - another one of his symphonic-style soundtracks, I can see why he won. Beautiful.

I would be lying if I said I knew anything about this movie. I never saw it when it came out in 1985 and never tried watching it since. A distant memory somewhere way back in the corner of my brain recalls a hair washing scene where Robert Redford washes Meryl Streep's hair. That's all.

The only thing I know about this movie was the fact it was based on an Isak Dinesen memoir of the same name. When I was in high school I remember trudging through another one of her novels and detesting it, so this may have something to do with why I skipped the movie. That isn't to say her novels or the movie aren't stellar. Remember I was 15, bratty and not well read (or watching the best movies), at the time. So now being the mature age that I am, I will put Out of Africa on my queue on Netflix.



Soundtrack and film:




No comments: