Monday, November 21, 2011

Like Crazy

Directed (co-written) by Drake Doremus, Paramount Vantage, 2011. Starring Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence and Alex Kingston.

Genre: Drama, Romance.

Question: When was the last time you fell in love? I mean really fell in love? If you can't remember perhaps you should watch Like Crazy and recall that special time when the one person sitting across from you makes you happier than you can possibly imagine. If you haven't fallen in love yet, you should see this movie. It will inspire you to know love is worth it.

I have a favorite word: Always. For me it represents the power of what love can be for us humans. When you are truly in love - you always have a person to be there for you whether it be when you are happy, sad, silly or just existing. When you find true love, you always have the ability to see beyond any struggle. When you meet your soul-mate they don't make you happy, they always make you happier. See where I am going with this? Always equals love for me. When you have true, real love, you find the possibility of greatness beyond measure and that is something that should always keep you looking for that one person...that's just right for you. Like Crazy showed that type of love and it made me smile.

A couple of months ago I posted the preview for Like Crazy and have been counting down the days until it opened. Something about that preview just spoke to me. (Yes, it showed a little too much) So on this misty, sometimes rainy day, I finally saw this film. It ended up being the sweetest, most tender tales of love I have seen on film in ages.

Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones star in this love story as two college seniors who meet towards the end of their academic careers and fall madly in love. It begins with a note from one to the other and soon the possibility begins. It always does. I was mesmerized by the level of realistic passion these two characters felt for each other. When together they fit like perfect puzzle pieces, but when apart they feign happily existing but really long to be to with one another. I found myself getting teary-eyed during the longing scenes. Have you ever missed someone so much that you just don't feel whole without them? That is exactly what these two people felt. It was heartbreaking at parts.

Not a lot happens in this story but it was a lovely one just the same. Two people meet, fall in love, are pulled apart, struggle to move on but can't and eventually they try....wait! I am not going to tell you. All I will talk about Like Crazy now is the acting. It was superb. I really felt that these two were in love because of the ease of it, the sweetness of it and an overwhelming desire, that I think everyone in the theatre probably thought, to feel like them with someone. Who doesn't want to be in love like that?

Do you have that person that always makes you smile just thinking about them?

My favorite thing: So many things, actually, but I suppose I will choose that part of it was filmed in London - my favorite place in the entire world.

My least favorite: I am going to keep this one to myself.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 minutes

Review: 8 out of 10




Click on film poster to watch instantly or purchase soundtrack:



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw the trailer for this and can't wait to see it. Thanks for sharing your review.

Jen and Tonic said...

Lovely review! I saw the review for this, and immediately dismissed it because I'm not into love stories. This review makes me think I should give it a shot :)