Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Movies - Part 4

Well, we have come to the end of the line. Here are my final two favorite Christmas movies of all time. Up until now there hasn't been any sort of order and with the next one the same goes; however, the final film is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies and resides up in the top 5 on that list. So I am saving my favorite holiday movie for last.

The Holiday (2006) Starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black. This film is the most recent one added to the list since it only came out 5 years ago. This was another surprise rent one day and not a theatre attended movie. It's a romantic comedy that takes a twist on finding the right person. Two women, Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz, both have relationship issues and decide to switch houses for the holidays. One lives in England and one lives in America. While on their holiday escape they meet a couple of guys worth looking into (Jack Black and Jude Law). That's all I will say about that since I have feeling many of you haven't seen this film, but I know you girls out there can probably relate to these girls' dilemmas. My favorite part of this movie is Kate Winslet's character's friendship with her elderly neighbor - a former Hollywood screenwriter. Here is one of the best scenes from The Holiday....oh, and may I just say I would go to England in a heartbeat for Christmas...then again, the other goes to LA...oh, that would be a tough decision for me.


Drum-roll, please......my favorite Christmas movie of all time is:

While You Were Sleeping (1995) Starring Sandra Bullock, Bill Pullman, Peter Gallagher and Peter Boyle. I know what you are thinking. 'What?! REALLY?! Are you nuts?' And my only response is emphatically YES, I am crazy but I just love this movie!! I know I am in the minority here when it comes to this one, but when I first saw this 15 years ago I fell in love with it. There was just something about the romance story, the main character, played by Sandra Bullock, and the combination of the "family" dynamic in While You Were Sleeping that just spoke to me. It's not the best film ever produced; It didn't win any Oscars but Sandra Bullock was nominated for a Golden Globe; And most of you probably never saw it. Don't worry I have seen it enough for all of you. I honestly can't tell you how many times I have seen it but I am on my second DVD - and watch it at least 5 times a year. I am crazy, I know, but this is my go to movie whenever I need a pick-me-up, in the mood for a little romance or when I just want to relax. My kids watch this movie with me and make fun of me at how much I smile while I am watching it. Most of you won't see what I see in this film and I am okay with that. We all have our movies that speak to us and no one else. And While You Were Sleeping is mine and I am not embarrassed to say it anymore :-)

I didn't post a scene from my favorite holiday film but here is a link to the first 9 minutes on YouTube. The entire movie is on there. If you want to see just how nuts I am, take a gander. While You Were Sleeping

So, there you have it. My top 11 favorite Christmas movies of all time. I know there are a few that are missing on here that you may think I need to list, but I had to weed it down to this. There are more Christmas movies I enjoy, but when I want to get in the holiday spirit these are the first that leap to mind.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Click on the film posters below to watch instantly:
 



2 comments:

Jen and Tonic said...

We may be the same person :D

Tired of Previews said...

Okay! That's it! We HAVE to plan a trip to meet! :-) Love you, sweetie!!