Friday, November 25, 2011

My Favorite Christmas Movies - Part 1

The family table has been cleared, leftovers put away and the storage boxes of holiday ornaments are just starting to pop to mind. I might almost be ready for Christmas but not just yet.

Are you wondering how I get in the mood for the holiday season? It's not the music, although I do love a tune or two of festive cheer. Nope, it's not the shopping for the family Christmas tree either. I wish it were the weather, but where I live I am still wearing shorts, T-shirts and going barefoot. Come on, this should be obvious..... Yes, it's with movies! What else?

Instead of reviewing a movie today (although I am going to see Hugo later on this afternoon), I want to share with you my top 11 favorite Christmas movies. Yes, 11. Why, you ask? Because this list goes to 11.

In no particular order:

White Christmas  (1954) Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney. This classic Christmas film was one that I HAD to watch every year growing up. This one never gets old for me. The music, the story of loyalty and even a little romance mixed-in is just the right combination for me to keep this on the list. White Christmas is old Hollywood with the large sets and theatrical performances. They just don't make movies like that anymore. Plus, White Christmas, the song, is one of my favorite Christmas songs (and something that I wish for every year). This is a classic for a reason.


Elf (2003) Starring Will Ferrell, James Cann, Zooey Daschanel and Bob Newhart. This film came out of nowhere, and I was sort of skeptical when I heard Jon Favreau directed movie this movie. Now I like Favreau as a director, but at that point in his career he wasn't particularly known as a director. I knew of him from Swingers and 'Friends' only. So I did not see it in the theatre but ended up renting it later. Upon first viewing, I fell in love with Elf, the character (a.k.a. Will Ferrell) and this film. I believe I even watched it again right after I finished it and have watched it every year since. (Yes, I own this one.) The story was original, charming and funny - very funny. If you have not seen this one, put it on your queue. Kids and adults will love this family tale. Here's a link to a song that I enjoyed in Elf.


Love Actually (2003) This hosts an ensemble cast. Here are just a few of the actors: Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Liam Neeson, and Keira Knightley. Again, like Elf, I am pretty sure I didn't see this in the movie theatre but once I rented it, it quickly leapt on to my top 10 - I mean 11 - Christmas movie list. I actually watch this movie several times a year because it's not only about the holidays but the varying degrees of love. There are several tales interwoven together in Love Actually - some happy, some not and some that are just there for you to ponder. Just as complicated as love is in real life, Love Actually tackles the complexities of love so that everyone who sees this movie can relate to one or more of the story-lines.... My favorite song from this movie is preformed by Kelly Clarkson, and is not a Christmas song but I relate it the holiday season just the same.

To Be Continued...

Click on film poster to watch instantly:




2 comments:

Angie Bailey said...

I love Elf too! My all time fave is Christmas Story but I love Holiday in Handcuffs also!

Deray said...

Love actually is awesome!!! I shall watch it again ;-)