Saturday, May 12, 2012

Attack the Block

Directed (and written) by Joe Cornish, Studio Canal, 2011.

Starring: John Boyega, Jodie Whittaker,  Alex Esmail Luke Treadway, and Nick Frost.

Genre: Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi.

Question: Have you ever walked down a dark street only run into a bunch of hoodlums and hope they aren't about to mug you? You think, "Why aren't they home, doing their homework, or playing video games?"

Hoodlums? Did I really just use that expression? Holy cow, I am getting old. Anyway, I will admit when I see a group of teenage boys hanging around on a corner, in a park or such, I automatically think they are up to no good. I don't base this on any experience of my own, but I think it's just inbred into us as we grow up - to think the younger generations are just going to make mistakes when in a pack.

With that all said, the boys in Attack the Block are hoodlums that do attack innocent people and make the mistakes you think they will, however, if all hell breaks look you will WANT to want them by yourside. Did I just lose you all? Sorry, my vagueness rises again. But it's a must to keep you all in the dark about the story on this one...and it's just what I do in my reviews, right?

Anyway, Attack the Block is a British film that I believe is destined to become a cult-classic. Why do I say that? Well, just look at the genre categories this movie falls under. It's a perfect recipe. And if my 12 year-old son was older, I know he would love this film, but I am not showing it to him for a few more years: lots of bad language, blood, violence and humor that will go over his head. (I know, I am such a mom.) However, I guarantee this will be on his list to see as soon as he catches a whiff of it. It was practically made for him (and his generation).

So, here's the gist of the tale: A group of British teenagers, living in South London, with nothing better to do hangout on their neighborhood block. They make a mistake and there's payback. Drugs, guns/swords and lots of bad language are strewn throughout the story. Aliens are involved. Okay, that's it, no more details. However, if you are parent of a teenage boy, you may never trust what your son tells you again when they call you to tell you what they are up to or why they are late if you see this film.

Except for Nick Frost, Simon Pegg's best bud, I didn't recognize any of the actors in Attack the Block, but they all did a fantastic job at taking this irreverent tale and making it completely believable. So, have fun watching this film; I surely did.

My favorite thing: The two youngest boys. They had me in the giggles.

My least favorite thing: That sometimes I couldn't understand all the British slang.

Rating: R
Length: 88 minutes

Review: 9 out of 10

Click on film post below to buy the DVD or watch on Instant View:





No comments: