Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Five-Year Engagement

Directed (and co-written) by Nicholas Stroller, Apatow Productions, 2012

Starring: Jason Segel (co-writer), Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, Alison Brie, David Paymer, Mimi Kennedy and Rhys Ifans.

Genre: Comedy, Romance

Question: Do you ever just want to go to the movies but there really isn't anything in that you are dying to see? How do you choose which film to see then? This happens to me. Just this week I wanted to go the movie theatre (What's new?) but nothing was shouting out at me saying, "See this!" So I looked up what was playing and narrowed it down to three.

Then I went to Rotten Tomatoes and looked at the ratings of each one. I chose the highest marked one: The Five-Year Engagement, not only did it have the highest rating, it was the only one that was "fresh". Yes, even I go by what others say, sometimes, about films. However, I didn't have time to read the blurbs from the critics as the movie was starting in less than 20 minutes.

I had some high hopes for The Five-Year Engagement. First, it was a Judd Apatow production. He's done some pretty fun films (The Year Old Virgin, Knocked-up and, my favorite of his, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy). Second, I have enjoyed many of the films by the lead actors: Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Lastly, I sort of watched the preview a while back and thought it had potential.

The theatre was empty when I walked in but it was only 11:00am. I do love seeing the first showing of the day. Anyway, a few people straggled in just before the movie started. And for the first thirty minutes or so, I laughed, smiled and really enjoyed the movie. Then something switched.

Quick synopsis - a couple have been together for a year, they get engaged and start the process of planning the wedding. This part was enjoyable. Then life happens. Meaning, as they are planning everything, something alters their plans and they decide to hold off on the wedding, hence the name of the film. However, when it got to that part in the movie it...just...got...weird.

I can't quite put my finger as to what happened but it just was no longer funny or they tried too hard and the jokes got stale. But it also turned into a drama, sort of. But the end, it picked back up a bit with the story but by that point it had lost my attention.

The actors all did a fine job but nothing spectacular to discuss regarding a specific scene or performance. Sad to say.

Again, I hate to write a review about a movie I just didn't enjoy all that much. I really don't like doing this part of my job. I know the filmmakers tried...oh, I just can't give harsh criticism...sorry....or you're welcome.
But I have to end on a high note - the beginning was fun.

My favorite part: The engagement party and the speeches. Very funny stuff.

My least favorite part: The venison dinner scene. You'll see. Odd, just odd.

Rating: R
Length: 124 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10

Click on the film poster below to purchase DVD or watch on Instant Video:





No comments: