Friday, December 23, 2011

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Directed by Brad Bird, Paramount Pictures, 2011

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Tom Wilkinson and Simon Pegg.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller

Question: Anyone sick and tired of sequels? Yeah, me too. However, I just saw Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol and may have to eat my words about this particular sequel. This one was pretty good!

I must confess I was actually planning on viewing this movie for one reason and one reason only - Simon Pegg. Yes, you heard that right. Although Tom Cruise makes pretty decent movies I really went to see Ghost Protocol for one of the supporting actors. This is the honest truth. Sure he was in Mission: Impossible 3 but not enough, I say, so I didn't think he would be in the next installment.

Indulge me for a moment....About six months ago I saw a preview for this one. Well, that's not true. I "heard" the preview as I was sitting in the theatre shielding my eyes as I normally do during previews. Immediately I thought I would skip the film until I heard Simon Pegg's voice and quickly looked at the screen. YAY! There is just something about him that cracks me up and pulls me to see everything he is in. It started with Shaun of the Dead (and I don't even like Zombie movies) and I never looked back. In fact, Simon Pegg was one of the first people I started following on Twitter; and even when I was sick of Twitter awhile back I couldn't cancel my account because his tweets give me the giggles....okay, enough...I will talk about the movie.

Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol was a thrill ride from beginning to end. I am not kidding. So for you adrenaline junkies out there - go to the theatre now. You don't even need to finish reading this review....really, go, go now...Oh wait, see it in IMAX. This is the type of film that requires the biggest and best screening available. There is one part that even made me a little queasy due to a certain death-defying act performed by Mr. Cruise because you feel like you are right there within the scene. (How did his "people" allow him to go through something like that?)  Now I suppose if you have a fear of heights, you might want to cover your eyes but try not to during this scene. It really was one of the most spectacular stunts I have EVER seen on film. This will not be the same on the TV screen, iPad or laptop, trust me.

Since this is a thriller I won't go into any detail about the story. However, I will say Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his team were given a mission, that they chose to accept, and you are along for the thrill of a lifetime. Also, Simon Pegg (yes, I am mentioning him again) was the great comic relief in this movie, which was needed because your heart pounds so much that you'll require a break from the tension.

The fourth installment of this series got back to what I enjoyed from the first Mission: Impossible: action, adventure, thriller and no romance. Okay, ladies you might be mad at me for saying that, but there was not a romance story line connected to this one and I was relieved. Well, maybe there was a little one. The second and third installment went too much into a lovey-dovey tale for me with Thandie Newton's character in MI2 and Ethan Hunt's wife in MI3. Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good romance but these movies didn't need to cram in another genre to make it watchable for the female population.

I really don't want to say any more about Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol except to say that if you are gadget nut you will enjoy this movie - a lot. I believe even Q and James Bond would have a difficult time containing their excitement at the amount of cool electronics in this film. There that's it. No more. Now go enjoy this film.

My favorite thing: Simon Pegg - really! He was in this a lot more and he better be in the next one.

My least favorite thing: That I actually got a little teary-eyed at the very end. What? You will just have to see why.


Rating: PG-13
Length: 126 minutes

Review: 8 out of 10

Click of film posters below to watch instantly:



No comments: