Sunday, October 9, 2011

Trollhunter

Directed (and written) by Andre Ovredal, Filmameratena A/S, 2010. Otto Jespersen, Glenn Erland TosterudRobert Stoltenberg, and Johanna Morck.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery.

Question: Do you believe in trolls? Yes, that is my question for this review! Well, if you don't, you might believe in them after you see this "movie".

It's been a while since I've seen a movie. I can't really say why that is but this morning I decided to watch something that a friend asked me to review a few weeks ago. Actually, I joined a website last night and someone else mentioned it so I kind of thought - 'It's Sunday; I haven't seen a movie in over a week. Why not Trollhunter?' Yes, I am serious.

Alright, I am not sure how to describe this film and I really don't want to try. You should just see it for yourself. However, I will mention that it is a foreign film from Norway. So, there are subtitles. For the slow reader that I am, I didn't have any difficulty staying in time with this story. What a relief. I actually had to wear headphones because my laptop's speakers weren't loud enough, and I wanted to make sure I heard all the sound even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying. And the sound was pretty important to this film. Well, I found it fascinating at least.

Trollhunter is exactly is what this movie is about - a troll hunter named Hans. A small group of students wanted to film an alleged bear poacher that received a lot of media attention. However, when the students meet Hans, they join him on his "hunt" and stumble upon an adventure they never would have imagined. The story was not scary which was my first thought when my friend mentioned the title to me. It is in fact a satire - again, how I interpreted.

If you want to learn everything about trolls and their existence, then watch this movie. If you like watching documentaries, then Trollhunter is for you. If you want to giggle from time to time, then this is your flick. And last but not least, if you want to know how to kill trolls then by all means watch this movie - it is imperative.  I found it on Netflix instant queue so if this sounds like it is right up your alley - go to Netflix right now!

The "acting" and the "story" were pretty good but I kept noticing (and it could have been just me) there were correlations to Jaws that had me grinning.(Even though Jaws scared me for life I have seen it a few times and can't forget any of it - ever.) Let's just say Hans has this one scene that reminded me of the speech Quint gives while they are in the boat. The other movie this reminded me of was The Blair Witch Project. That's all I am going to say about that.

Seeing the countryside of Norway was a treat as the troll hunter and the students were on their adventure, so for those of you who like to travel this might be a treat for you as well. It was breathtaking in parts especially when there weren't any ugly creatures taking the focus off the scenery.

Now, if you are easily offended or someone who is particularly religious, specifically Christian, you might not be a fan of Trollhunter.

You must have a sense of humor to enjoy Trollhunter and I promise this one was a fun one if you do. It was just what I needed to escape reality for a couple hours.

My favorite part: That something actually made me smile and giggle today.


My least favorite part: A few scenes had me gagging a bit.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 103 minutes

Rating: 7 out of 10

Click on poster to watch film instantly:



No comments: