Friday, February 25, 2011

The Fighter

Directed by David O. Russell, Closest to the Hole Productions, 2010. Starring Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo.

Genre: Biography, Drama, Sport.

Question: What’s keeping you from seeing The Fighter? Maybe you think of Rocky and worry it will be a similar story, so why bother? I am here to tell you that they are not the same - at all!

Boxing is probably my least favorite sport. I just don't care to watch two people that beat each other to a bloody pulp. It's probably a girl thing but I just don't like it. That is why I avoided The Fighter until now. I decided to go yesterday since I am reviewing Oscar nominated (past and present) movies this week and kept hearing about the unbelievable acting jobs by some members of the cast. I had to see for myself and I am so glad I did.

The Fighter is not about boxing, per se. It is about a man (Micky) who is forced to put up a fight against the people he loves. He fights to be heard and fights to make his own decisions, etc… That is The Fighter - the boxing is secondary in the story. So if you had the same preconceived notions that I did, wipe them away and go see it.

Mark Walhberg plays Micky Ward, the boxer, and does a wonderful job but the other three leads in the cast outshine some of the best acting I have ever seen:

1.      Melissa Leo, who I am not very familiar with, plays Micky's mother and after seeing her in real life I now understand why she is up for all these awards. Fantastic!

2.      Amy Adams surely goes against type with playing Micky's girlfriend and does so well I couldn't even relate her to this same person who played Giselle in Enchanted. Wonderful performance!

3.      But the shining star in this movie is Christian Bale. WOW! What a transformation. He played Dicky, Micky's older brother, who is addicted to crack and his brother's trainer. As I was watching the movie, I couldn't even imagine that the same actor standing there was Batman a couple of years ago. He really deserves all the accolades - really!!

Go see The Fighter - it is worth it!

My favorite thing: Christian Bale

My least favorite: Boxing scenes - but that is just me. I just don't like seeing people getting hit even though it is make believe. But don't let that stop you.

Sequel Possibility? No

Did the previews show too much? Maybe a tiny bit. A few of the important lines I had already seen but it didn't ruin it for me.

Rating: R
Length: 115 minutes

Review: 9 out of 10

The Fighter - DVD Pre-order

No comments: