Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Invictus

Directed (and produced) by Clint Eastwood, Warner Bros. Pictures, 2009. Starring Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon and Tony Ggoroge.
Genre: Biography, Drama, History, Sport.
Question: What’s your favorite sports movie? Hoosiers, Bad News Bears, Bull Durham or Invincible (okay, I am an Eagles fan – I admit it). What’s the one thing they all have in common? It’s the triumphant story of the underdog team, right? Well, Invictus might have one of the best underdog victories ever.
Invictus is about a man, Nelson Mandela, and the true story about how he brought a nation together with their national pastime. I will admit I know very little of the history of South Africa and I know absolutely nothing about Rugby, but I got completely drawn into this story despite my lack of knowledge.
Invictus is based on the book by John Carlin “Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game that Made a Nation.”
Clint Eastwood did a fantastic job adapting the story for the screen. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon transformed themselves into their characters so well that at times I didn’t even recognize them. Their accents and their mannerisms were impeccable. Actually everyone was great in this movie.
This was a truly inspirational tale and I recommend it for everyone to see.
My favorite thing: Morgan Freeman
My least favorite: Just wish I knew a bit more about Rugby.
Possibility of a sequel? No.
Did the previews ruin it or show too much? Not one bit.
Rating: PG-13
Length: 134 minutes

Review: 8 out of 10


Invictus - the novel
Invictus - DVD


Videos on Demand

No comments: