Thursday, February 24, 2011

Slumdog Millionaire

Directed by Danny Boyle, Celador Films, 2008. Starring Dev Patel, Freida Pinto,  Irrfan Khan and Anil Kapoor.

Genre: Drama, Romance

Question: Do you ever have those days that everything seems to go wrong? It's draining, right? Well, I had one of those days yesterday. All I am going to say is that I hate hackers!! Anyway, what do you do to unwind or let go of those bad days? My remedy: watch a movie and yesterday I chose the right one to counteract the crappy day I had: Slumdog Millionaire.

I may be one of only a handful of people who did not see the movie when it first came out even after all the accolades and awards. Sometimes, I avoid a movie once it starts getting too much good press. An odd reaction, I know, but it happens. So, after the day I had I looked at my DVR movie list and saw that one, which I had recorded over a year ago, and my husband was shocked I hadn't seen it. He told me to watch it because he loved it!

Let me tell you that it was the perfect antidote to my bad day. After watching the first fifteen minutes I realized I have it pretty good and shouldn't complain.  My worries just melted away because Slumdog Millionaire shows you that even after having a horrific upbringing you can still get what you want. No complaining, no whining, no giving-up.

If you haven't seen it yet - rent it, download it, or even buy it to watch again when you need a reminder that giving up is not an option.

I apologize if this isn't my typical review. Movies are my passion and when a movie helps me out of a funk or exposes me to something that helps me get over my bad mood, I find it important to share so anyone can get the same relief from their rotten days. This is why I love movies - they can either put a mirror up to your face or help you escape your reality for a while and doesn't everyone needs that from time to time?

My favorite thing: realizing I shouldn't complain about one bad day.

My least favorite: Some scenes were a little tough to watch when they were young children.

Sequel possibility?Nno - perfect complete story.

Did the previews ruin it by showing too much? Not one bit.

Rating: R
Length: 120 minutes

Review: 9 out of 10

Q & A, the novel - the book Slumdog Millionaire was based on.
Slumdog Millionaire - DVD & Instant Video

No comments: