Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Runaways

Directed (and screenplay written) by Floria Sigismondi, River Road Entertainment, 2010. Starring Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning, and Michael Shannon.

Genre: Biography, Drama, Music.

Question: How many of you were obsessed with the song “I love Rock ’n’ Roll” by Joan Jett? Oh, I was – back in elementary school. But I will admit that I did not know that she originally came from one of the first all girl punk bands, The Runaways, until recently.

The Runaways cast some pretty well known actors for its leads: Kristen Stewart (Joan Jett) and Dakota Fanning (Cherie Currie). Both are known, to say the least, as part of the Twilight Saga, which unfortunately, may have not been the smartest move to get their fans to flock to its opening. In fact, most of them aren't old enough to see it. Also, those who dislike the Twilight series may have purposely avoided it. But I am happy to say I was old enough and able to disassociate them from Twilight. And I am so glad because I really liked it!

The film showed a gritty and honest biopic of the mid 70’s evolution of this all girl band. Stewart and Fanning were brilliant and they completely transformed themselves into Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. But there was one extra bright star in this movie - Michael Shannon as the legendary music producer, Kim Fowley. Even if you aren’t interested in seeing this movie, for whatever reason, see it anyway because of him. He made the movie!

This was based on the book Neon Angel: The Cherie Currie Story by Cherie Currie.

My favorite thing: Michael Shannon.

My least favorite: Actually, I can’t think of anything at the moment.

Possibility of a sequel? No

Did the previews show too much or ruin it? Not one bit.

Rating: R
Length: 106 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10


The Runaways - DVD
Videos on Demand


A Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway

No comments: