Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Last Chance Harvey

Directed (and written) by Joel Hopkins, Overture Films, 2008. Starring Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson.

Genre: Drama, Romance.

Let’s change gears here. Last Chance Harvey is a big departure from most of the movies I have reviewed lately. It wasn’t a box office blockbuster, it didn’t get much PR in its promotion, and the story isn’t one that will knock your socks off. However, if you want to watch a sweet, well-acted and feel good story, then watch this one.

I have always been a fan of Dustin Hoffman; and I had the pleasure of actually meeting him (while making Rain Man) once. He is a fantastic actor and Harvey, his character, is played with such conviction that you really feel for this man when he is having one of the worst weekends of his life.

Emma Thompson also has a stellar performance as a middle aged woman, single and lonely. I wish I had known a little bit more about the character’s background, but it really didn’t matter because the moral of the story is that you can find love when you least expect it.

I liked it and I hope you get a chance to see Last Chance Harvey.

My favorite thing: Harvey’s speech at his daughter’s wedding.

My least favorite: That more people didn’t see it.

Possibility of a sequel? No. Not necessary.

Did the previews show too much? No

Rating: PG-13
Length: 93 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10

Last Chance Harvey - DVD

Videos on Demand

No comments: