Monday, January 31, 2011

The Men Who Stare At Goats

Directed by Grant Heslov, Smoke House, 2009. Starring Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey.

Genre: Comedy, War.

When I saw the list of actors in The Men Who Stare At Goats, I immediately wanted to see it not even knowing anything about the film. I mean, seriously, look at that list! Some of the best actors we have today. But I must confess that when I saw the first actor’s name I knew I would see it, no matter what: Ewan McGregor is my favorite actor! However, it took me a while to see it because, frankly, I didn’t know anything about it. The previews didn’t show much and it seemed to disappear from the theatres as soon as it came in.

Well, I finally saw it yesterday. What an odd tale about our military and paranormal powers of certain soliders - based on the book by John Ronson. It uses actual people in the story but it is all fiction. Whoa – I hope so because if there is a part of our military that is really like this – we might be in trouble. With that said, keep an open mind when viewing this movie. It is supposed to be funny.

I enjoyed it somewhat but not sure most would. The main actors were all fun to watch – especially George Clooney. But all in all, the storytelling was too farfetched – and it takes a lot for me to say that. I can be swept into a lot of fantastical stories but this was not one of them. The saving grace for me was Ewan McGregor. I could stare at him for 90 minutes and be perfectly happy. I have said it before: I am a movie fan so when my favorite actor is in something, I will see it!

My favorite thing: Do I really need to say it?

My least favorite: The overall plot.

Possibility of a sequel? I don’t think so.

Did the previews tell too much? No.

Rating: R
Length: 94 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10

The Men That Stare at Goats - DVD

The Men That Stare at Goats - Book

Videos on Demand

No comments: