Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Daybreakers

Directed by The Spierig Brothers (also written by), Lionsgate, 2009. Starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Defoe and Sam Neill.

Genre: Action, Horror, Thriller

I must warn you before I give my review of Daybreakers – I love vampire stories so I may be a bit biased here.

I liked Daybreakers mainly because it had a unique story line and it was not another vampire love story. Hey, don’t get me wrong I like those too but it was nice to see a horror storyline tagged along with these immortal creatures for a change. I know I said something about not watching horror movies before but I make the exception when it comes to vampires.

My only complaint about this movie was the overindulgence of the blood and guts during some of the violent scenes. Yes, I know it is the life source of these bloodsuckers but a few scenes went a bit too far and almost made it laughable if not stomach churning.

Ethan Hawke played as his typical soft spoken persona that always seems to be out of sync with his comrades, but his character is balanced well with Willem Defoe’s devil-may-care attitude and Sam Neill’s sadistic charm.

I never saw a preview, by the way, so I am uncertain if they gave away too much on Daybreakers. In fact, I don't recall this ever being in the theatres in 2009.

Review: 6 out of 10

Rating: R
Length: 98

No comments: