Thursday, January 6, 2011

Color Me Kubrick, A Home at the End of the World, Legion.



Directed by Brian Cook, Color Me K Productions, 2005. Starring John Malkovich.

Genre: Comedy, Drama.

Well, this was an odd – albeit true - tale of someone pretending to be Stanley Kubrick, the famous movie director, in London during his shooting of Eyes Wide Shut. John Malkovich plays the impersonator – brilliantly – as usual. (Is there anything this man can’t do?) Anyway, I started off liking the film with its cinematographic and musical homage to A Clock Work Orange but soon after the story continued I lost interest.
Part of me did have this “chuckle inside mentality” like I knew what was going on and the rest of the world (characters) didn’t. I did finish the movie with a small grin but not sure if I really cared for the film in its entirety.

Review: 4 out of 10

Rating: NR
Length: 86 minutes.


Directed by Michael Mayer, Warner Independent Pictures, 2004. Starring Colin Farrell, Dallas Roberts, Robin Wright-Penn and Sissy Spacek.

Based on a Pulitzer Prize winning novel called “The Hours” by Michael Cunningham.

Genre: Drama, Romance

It was an odd little film about 2 men who befriend each other when they are young in the late 60’s. The story is about creating your own family no matter your upbringing and however it affected it you.

Colin Farrel plays the lead and his innocent yet beguiling personality was quaint to watch and quite a departure for his normally macho driven characters. I also liked Dallas Roberts portrayal of the other lead and was trying to figure out where I had seen the actor before but couldn’t quite place him which is not my norm.

Review: 5 out of 10

Rating: R
Length: 97 minutes


Directed (and written) by Scott Stewart, Bold Films, 2010. Starring Paul Bettany, Lucas Black, Tyrese Gibson and Dennis Quaid.

Genre: Action, Thriller, Fantasy

I saved the worst for last. I remember seeing the preview for Legion in the theatre not too long ago and thought it could be interesting since they didn’t show too much. Then it came and went and now I know why.

As I stated before I can’t just bash a film if I don’t like it so I must give at least one thing I liked about it: the cinematography was good.

Review: 1 out of 10

Rating: R
Length: 100 minutes

No comments: