Friday, January 28, 2011

Zombieland

Directed by Ruben Fleischer, Columbia Pictures, 2009. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy and Horror.

Yes, I said it before, I don’t particularly like watching Horror flicks, but Zombieland was on cable one day and I caught a few minutes and I could not turn it off. Well, needless to say, I ended up taping it for future viewing to see it from the beginning. And just this past weekend I watched it with my husband.

Now, let me say one thing: I hate zombie movies. HATE! (Long story, short: I saw a zombie movie when I was young and it scared me for life.) I do make one exception: Shaun of the Dead. Great movie! But now I can add Zombieland to the “like” category. Comedy and Zombies just seem to work for me.

Although there were a few scenes I had to cover my eyes due to the zombie gore – I really enjoyed this film. I honestly wasn’t expecting an adventure/romance/feel-good-movie/satire but that is what it was and it worked.

There are only a few characters (with speaking roles) in Zombieland but everyone did a great job, especially Woody Harrelson. The story was like most post-apocalyptic-disease-that-takes-over-the-world tales but the story between the 4 characters was one that kept me very interested.

Oh wait! I did like 28 Days later (directed by Danny Boyle – which just I looked up, remember him? Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours). Ok, sorry. Back to Zombieland.

My favorite thing: "The Rules" & the surprise appearance.

My least favorite: Having to watch zombies eat people. 

Possibility of a sequel? Yes! (and I think there is one in development)

Did the previews ruin it? Not one bit.

Rating: R
Length: 88 minutes

Review: 8 out of 10

Zombieland - DVD

Videos on Demand

No comments: