Sunday, January 16, 2011

Going the Distance & Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Going the Distance
Directed by Nanette Burnstein, New Line Cinemas, 2010. Starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long.

Genre: Comedy, Romance.

Well, I suppose Going the Distance is chick flick but there are definitely elements in here for the male species; but all-in-all this movie felt like a drama that wasn’t working and someone decided to throw in some humor in order to sell tickets. Also, there was an odd connection to the 80’s which was never explained or justified even though it was set in modern day. (Sidenote: although hearing The Regular by the Replacements added to the overall score of my review.)

The chemistry between the two main characters, at times, seemed believable enough and in some ways the struggle they went through to be together was more real than the typical Hollywood plot line. However, without an overly dramatic climax or without any developed desire to see these two together left me feeling a little like I wasted 102 minutes of my day.

With all that said there was one thing I did like about this movie: the attempt at not going down the predicted path with a few scenes. I was pleasantly surprised at some of shifts.

Regarding the preview: yes, it showed most of the funny lines or scenes barring a few not meant for young eyes.

Review: 4 out of 10

Rating: R
Length: 102 minutes


Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Directed (and written) by Edgar Wright, Universal Pictures, 2010. Starring Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Kieran Culkin.

Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Music, Romance

Now before I give you my review I must tell you that at one point in time I played video games (as did most children of the 80’s) so I feel that if you ever spent time pushing quarters into slots you might enjoy this film no matter what other reviews say.

A truly unique experience: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World – based on a graphic novel by Brian Lee O’Malley. Now I watched this with my husband, who I must let you know right now is a musician and a bass player so he loved this movie. (Scott Pilgrim is a bass player in a band.)

I see that the film did very poorly according to the worldwide gross numbers vs. its budget but I think if the filmmakers toned it down a bit from PG-13 to PG rating more 11 & 12 year old boys would have lined up to see this movie. In fact, I wish my 11 year old son was a few years older because I think he would have loved this film.

This movie had everything going for it: a main character (hero)was a geek, a love story with a unique way for the characters to grow and learn, music – cool music to boot, visually energetic, and a fantasy element that was an unusual way to “battle” or overcome their enemies.

The previews did show many of the elements of the story but not enough to kill it for me.

Review: 6 out of 10

Rating: PG-13
Length: 112 minutes

No comments: