Sunday, January 2, 2011

Movie Marathon Weekend

Well, I must admit I love a holiday weekend. It gives me time to view more films and some of them I enjoyed watching with my children. So far I have watched 3 movies and I liked them all - to varying degrees. Date Night, Shrek Forever After, Toy Story 3.


First: DATE NIGHT

Directed by Shawn Levy, 20th Century Fox, 2010. Starring Steve Carrell & Tina Fey.
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Thriller and Romance.

Now I liked this movie but I would have liked it more if I hadn’t seen the previews. Once again, the previews showed way too much and sort of ruined the best lines and most of the set ups. So if you were lucky enough to have missed the previews you are going to really enjoy it. Date Night was funny, well acted and not a bad way to spend an afternoon during the holidays. Steve Carrell and Tina Fey definitely had chemistry and were very believable as a couple as they went through their date night from hell.

Review: 7 out of 10
Rating: PG-13
Length: 88 minutes

Second movie: SHREK FOREVER AFTER

Directed by Mike Mitchell, Dreamworks Animation, 2010. Starring Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and Antonio Banderas.
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Family, Fantasy and Adventure

This was the last installment, they say, of the Shrek series. Now I will admit I loved the first 2 but I couldn’t get through the third Shrek but this one was pretty good. Taking an “It’s a Wonderful Life” approach to the story was an interesting way to solidify what is good in Shrek’s life. Watch it with the kids.

Review: 7 out of 10
Rating: PG
Length: 93 minutes

Last movie of the weekend: TOY STORY 3

Directed by Steve Unkrich, Pixar Animation Studios, 2010. Starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Ned Betty and many more.
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Family, Fantasy and Adventure.

Now I saved the best for last. I LOVED Toy Story 3. Previews didn’t ruin this one bit. It was a poignant film about friendship and family. I did tear up a few times, laughed and was genuinely concerned for the characters as the story unfolded. This is an adventure movie – yes, an animation movie was a great adventure movie.

Rent it, borrow it from your neighbor or buy it. Even if you don’t have kids – watch this movie. You won’t regret it.

Review: 10 out of 10
Rating: G
Length: 103 minutes

No comments: