Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Red

Directed by Robert Schwentke, Summit International, 2010. Starring Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren.

Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime.

Red is a prime example of a good movie ruined by previews. Before this movie came out in theatres it was heavily promoted and I was really looking forward to this film based on said previews. However, I had a sinking feeling that all the good lines had been shown. I was, sadly, right.

 I would have thoroughly enjoyed this action/comedy flick filled with some of the biggest, mostly highly decorated and versatile actors in Hollywood today, if I hadn’t seen every punch line, cool special effect, or interesting plot twist prior. John Malkovich is still always fun to watch and Helen Mirren’s character is a hoot. Plus, the overall story (based on a graphic novel) was one that kept me interested. I hear there is a sequel in the mix – which I might see but WITHOUT seeing any previews.

Favorite character: John Malkovich's because he was quirky and helped create some of the best set-ups. 

Least favorite character: Bruce Willis' because it wasn't a departure for the actor. Seen this one before.

Possibility of a sequel? I would have to say yes.

Did the preview ruin it? YES!! So if you were lucky enough to have avoided any previews of Red – rent it.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 111 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10

No comments: