Thursday, January 27, 2011

Surrogates

Directed by Jonathan Mostow, Touchstone Pictures, 2009. Starring Bruce Willis, James Cromwell, Ving Rhames and Rosamund Pike.

Genre: Action, Sci-fi, Thriller.

Based on a graphic novel (there seems to be a lot of movies lately based on these) by Robert Venditti & Brett Weldele, Surrogates brings us to a future where humans use surrogate robots to do all their daily tasks. An interesting concept – I must say.

Surrogates is filled with a lot of action, and it is definitely a sci-fi story, but the thriller part was a little weak. In this 90 minute tale, I felt like there was no real need for sympathy for the main characters that we were supposed to be rooting for. Something was just missing or not fully told but I am not sure exactly what. Although I think it was trying to give us a message about our overuse (or dependence) of technology.

All and all, this was just an ok film. Watch it, if you have nothing else to do, or you are a huge Bruce Willis or sci-fi fan. I can’t pick out a part that I didn’t like about it but I just didn’t get sucked into the overall story.

Favorite thing: The concept

Least favorite: Lack of depth of the characters

Possibility of a sequel? I suppose there could be one.

Did the preview ruin it? Nope

Rating: PG-13
Length: 89 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10

No comments: