Monday, January 17, 2011

The Social Network

Directed by David Fincher, Columbia Pictures, 2010. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake.

Genre: Biography, Drama, History.

As I may have stated before – movies affect me and my life but Facebook has affected it even more. And let me tell you why: 2 years ago I contracted a heart infection that nearly killed me but I was told of a surgery that could save my life albeit an altered one (a constant clicking noise due to a mechanical device forever attached to my heart and life-long blood thinners.) I fortunately discovered an alternative surgery that would require none of the above on Facebook of all places. So for anyone that wants to hate Facebook or think it is beginning of the end of civilization, and The Social Network just glorified Mr. Zuckerberg’s creation – I just want to say: I don’t agree because I am forever grateful to Facebook.

With that being said – all in all I liked The Social Network. I did find the reason for Mark Zuckerberg’s creation, in the movie, to be a bit contrite and forced. But come to think of it: how could anyone who created something has huge as Facebook not have an ulterior motive to start it? But I’ll let that one slide.

I will admit that I felt there should have been another 15 minutes or so at the end to really solidify some items. But I will let that one slide, too.

The actors were all fantastic (including a surprise job by Mr. Timberlake – I think we will see more of him in the future); and the movie’s pace kept me really interested even though I knew the ending (we all did). But I found the dialogue to be the most intriguing part of the entire movie. Aaron Sorkin is a genius, but again we all knew that. Really, think about it – how does one take a genius geek typing code all day in order to create a social medium interesting? Well, Mr. Sorkin did – brilliantly! David Fincher had a hand in it as well. Yes, he won the Golden Globe for Best Directing in a Drama.

As for winning and beating The King’s Speech for Best Movie Drama in The Golden Globes last night – I felt a little disappointed I must admit. Oh well.

FYI: The previews didn’t ruin this one for me.

Review: 8 out of 10. “Like”

Rating: PG-13
Length: 120 minutes

No comments: