Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Directed by Oliver Stone, Edward R. Pressman Films, 2010. Starring Michael Douglas, Shia LaBeouf, Carrey Mulligan, and Josh Brolin.

Genre: Drama

I am not sure what to say about Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Part of me felt like a prize idiot because I could not follow the all financial minutia; while I felt like I was brow-beaten with the character’s dilemmas with odd camera tricks and a predictable story.

For once I am not sure if I liked a movie or not. I was a little disappointed in Gordon Gekko: I wanted him to be more dynamic and omnipotent like he was in Wall Street. Josh Brolin (the antagonist) was a bit ho-hum, and Shia LaBeouf had a decent character arc but he was almost not emotional enough for what he went through in the film.

Very rarely do I walk away from a film not knowing if I should recommend it or discourage people from seeing it. This one is up to you all to decide. But give me your thoughts if you have seen Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

Favorite thing:  the large NYC apartments.

Least favorite: The soundtrack.

Possibility of a sequel? Perhaps or maybe a prequel with the origin of Gordon Gekko.

Did the previews ruin the story? No, but a lot of the good lines were shown.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 133 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10

Videos on Demand

No comments: