Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Directed (and co-written) by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck, Focus Features, 2010. Starring Keir Gilchrist, Emma Roberts and Zach Galifianakis.


Genre: Comedy, Drama.


Question: When you were a teenager, did you think of putting yourself in a mental ward would solve your problem(s)? Well, that is how "It's Kind of a Funny Story" handles it.


I was ready to like this film after seeing the previews last summer but when I completed the DVD this weekend I was a little disappointed. I am not sure if putting a comedic spin on mental illness, depression or the anxiety that kids go through today is a good thing. Luckily, it wasn't that funny.


I do have one good thing to say about this film: Zach Galifianakis was refreshingly different. He wasn't the over top - where-are-my-mental-faculties? guy - he seems to always play. (I do think he can play more dramatic roles now if given the chance.) Yes, he is a patient in the mental ward, as well, but his character has a vulnerability and likability that no one else had in this film. I just wished we discovered more about his character and background.


The film is based on the semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by Ned Vizinni. I don't know much about the book but I have a feeling I would like it better than the film.


My favorite thing: Zach Galifianakis's acting ability. It is worth seeing it just to watch him. It's Kind of a Funny Story


My least favorite thing: One thing the main character does a lot which just grossed me out.


Possibility of a sequel? I might have to say - maybe.


Did the previews ruin it? No, it made me want to see it. The previews were good.


Rating: PG-13
Length: 101 minutes


Review: 4 out of 10


DVD, Blu-ray or Instant Video of It's Kind of a Funny Story.


The novel:



Since I have been adding in a soundtrack from time to time now, I had to check the one out from "It's Kind of a Funny Story". This one is pretty good. A few songs are available individually or you can download the whole album. I really liked the song called Blood from The Middle East. And anything that has a Pixies' song is okay in my book
It's Kind of a Funny Story

No comments: