Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Repo Men

Directed by Miguel Sapochnik, Universal Pictures, 2010. Starring Jude Law, Forest Whitaker and Liev Schreiber.

Genre: Action, Crime, Sci-fi, Drama, Thriller

Question: Did you see Repo Man - the 1984 cult movie starring Emilio Estevez? Well, Repo Men is not a sequel and shouldn't be confused as one prior to seeing this.

Based on the novel, The Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia, Repo Men is an unusual tale about a man who works as a repo man for a company by taking back things that should never be taken back. I don't want to go into detail as to what but trust me - it is something you would never want to give up - ever!

It started out with an interesting and unique story - albeit grotesque - with Jude Law as a worker with a job you would not want. Forest Whitaker plays his best friend and co-worker. Now I am not sure I can recall a movie where Jude Law is an action hero so for those you who faun over him - you might like parts of this movie.

However, halfway through the movie and once I was over my initial repulsion, the movie lost steam, credibility and it didn't seem to stay focused. But let me tell you after completing the entire movie - I believe it was the filmmaker's intention to change the pace of the film halfway through. I am just not sure it was worth it though.

There are elements of the story where it was just absurd; and I almost chuckled during a scene that was not meant to be funny. I think this may be a movie for those who like Sci-fi but I saw it with a deeper meaning: a warning to us today who live their lives to make money at all costs, especially in one specific profession. I want to say much more but I will refrain because I think some will like this movie even though I did not.

My favorite part: Um, Jude Law did look sort of cute from time to time - I have to admit.

My least favorite part: a personal connection that really had me grossed out.

Sequel possibility? Perhaps.

Did the previews ruin it by showing too much? No, in fact, I saw the preview and put it on my queue because of it.

Rating: R
Length: 111 minutes

Review: 3 out of 10

Repo Men - DVD
The Repossession Mambo - Novel (Kindle or book)

No comments: