Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ondine

Directed (and written) by Neil Jordan, Wayfare Entertainment, 2009. Starring Colin Farrell, Stephen Rea and Alicja Bachleda.

Genre: Drama, Romance

Question: How many actors from other countries disguise their native accents when they make movies here? So many, right? Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Gerard Butler, Ewan McGregor...just to name a few. But it is so interesting to see someone like Colin Farrell, who busted onto the Hollywood scene 10 years ago, go back to his country and make a movie. I can't recall hearing his Irish accent in a single movie that was made here.

I recently noticed that Colin Farrell seemed to slowly fade away from the big time Hollywood pictures and he started making small, independent movies here and abroad. I think it is is great because he is a fine actor who was starting to get lost in all the paparazzi-fueled, tabloid fodder lifestyle. Anyway, I rented Ondine, a Neil Jordan film, yesterday and was thoroughly pleased with the results.

Just like Neil Jordan's movies in the past, it is best that I don't tell you anything about the story except to say that it is a wonderful romance with a twist. I loved seeing the Irish countryside and people mixed into this wonderful tale. This may be a movie more for the female population but I did watch this with my husband and he thought it was pretty good. So, rent this one for a date night.

My favorite thing: the first confessional scene.

My least favorite thing: some words or phases went over my head. I wish I knew more Irish lingo.

Sequel possibility? I don't think so.

Did the previews show too much? I will tell you that the previews I saw showed just enough to get me to put it on my queue.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 111 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10

Rent or Buy: Ondine: DVD & Instant Video

No comments: