Friday, March 11, 2011

Tenderness

Directed by John Polson, Lionsgate, 2009. Starring Russell Crowe, Jon Foster, Sophie Traub & Laura Dern.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller.


Question: Do know that feeling you get when you are watching something really creepy? Sends shivers down your spine, right? Well, this movie did that but not in an in-your-face kind of way.


I found Tenderness on Sundance Channel recently and had a couple hours to kill during a mid-afternoon thunderstorm. I couldn't have picked a better genre to watch during that time. Tenderness is a C-REE-PY film but in a really subtle way because the movie really didn't go into much graphic detail.

I will not divulge what the story is about but I will say this was a decent movie. Based on the young adult novel by Robert Cormier, this story takes you on a few days’ jaunt around New York State where a convicted killer is set free after reaching 18 years of age.

Russell Crowe and Laura Dern are not the main characters but they bring a certain weight to the relatively unknown cast who has to pull off this creepy thriller. Yes, I used that word again but it is really cre...oh, never-mind. You get the picture.

Upon some research I did about this movie, I found it was only released on one screen for one day. There was no other explanation as to why. I am not sure if that is going to make you want to see it or pass but I enjoyed the film - not the subject matter - but it kept my interest for the duration.


My favorite part: hard to say.

My least favorite part: The subject matter.

Sequel possibility? nope.

Did the previews show too much? I never saw any - I just saw Russell Crowe's name attached and taped it.

Rating: R
Length: 101 minutes

Review: 6 out of 10

Tenderness DVD
Tenderness Instant Video
Book:

No comments: