Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Directed (and written) by Woody Allen, The Weinstein Company, 2008. Starring Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz.

Genre: Drama, Romance.

Question: Are you a fan of Woody Allen films?

Woody Allen definitely has own unique way of creating a film - sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. A few years back I kept hearing all this praise about Vicky Christina Barcelona but I never saw it. Not sure why. But I recorded it and let it sit there for months. Last night I finally watched it.

Well, I suppose I could say I liked it but I had some issues with it so it wasn't my favorite Woody Allen film.

First, the story had an interesting approach about a foreign, summer romance(s) - which to me is what this film essentially is about. However, there was this annoying narration (by a man) that made it seem like someone was reading a children's bedtime story not about several adults' sexual encounters. Maybe that is what the director was going for but when there were long periods of time without the narration I enjoyed the film more.

Second, I may be the only person who doesn't find Javier Bardem attractive. I know, I know -what is wrong with me? Yes, he has sex appeal but he just doesn't do it for me. Sorry. However, he was the main love interest for many in this film and I just couldn't relate to the other women and why he was the one.

Third, this film is basically about women and who they love, are attracted to and who they think they should be with. I don't mean to sound sexist here but, to me, this was a man's fantasy about what women want and not how it truly is.

In the beginning, it was quintessentially Woody Allen with Vicky, played by Rebecca Hall, as the overly talkative character, but after we got into the guts of the movie no one seemed to say anything remotely interesting.

Now the views of Spain made me want to book my plane ticket that night. Stunning!! I also liked the costumes - lots of linen. Not sure if there was any significance to using that material for so many of the costumes; but I kind of liked the organic material and how it isn't perfect after you had it on for a while.

My favorite part: the beauty of Spain and how it was shown.

My least favorite part: the narration.

Possibility of a sequel? Has Woody Allen ever done a sequel?

Did the previews show too much? What I remember - the previews showed a  lot of Penelope Cruz and she really wasn't in it that much. Maybe a little misleading but it didn't ruin the movie's storyline.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 96 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10

Vicky Christina Barcelona - DVD & Instant Video

No comments: