Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Everybody's Fine

Directed (and co-written) by Kirk Jones, Miramax Films, 2009. Starring Robert De Niro, Sam Rockwell, Kate Beckinsale and Drew Barrymore.

Genre: Drama

Question: Do you miss seeing Robert De Niro play a sensitive character with a big heart? Oh, who am I kidding? I will see anything this man makes (with some rare exceptions..."Little Fockers"). So, when I saw the preview for this I wanted to see it but it seemed like it was going to be a comedy, but not. I don't know - I was just a little confused by the previews. But I finally rented it and I am glad I did.

Now I may be personalizing this one a bit but Robert De Niro reminded me of my father or the kind of father that is so proud of his kids that he goes around to EVERYONE and talks to them about his children and their accomplishments. My dad does that all the time. Anyway, back to "Everybody's Fine". This was a sweet movie that, unfortunately, not many saw. What a shame. I really enjoyed watching the soft side of people in films from time to time - especially from actors that don't get a chance to play it that way all that often.

This is a tale about a father who ventures off to see each of his 4 children and with what he encounters along the way: memories, new people and truths that hurt. I found myself getting teary-eyed a lot. Sure, I can be a bit sensitive but this story was well told. I hope you decide to see it - especially to see Robert De Niro's character and how well he acted. Seriously, this man can do anything. I just wanted to run up to him and give him a hug.

My favorite thing: Well, do I need to say it - Robert De Niro.

My least favorite thing: How many times I teared up - it didn't really bother me but I didn't have any tissues.

Sequel possibility? Nope.

Did the preview show too much? Na, I just thought it was a light comedy and I passed when it first came out. My mistake.

Download the movie: Everybody's Fine (2009)

Soundtrack:Everybody's Fine (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Dario Marianelli

Rating: PG-13
Length: 99 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10



COMING UP: "After. Life"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love movies with Robert De Niro. Thank you for participating in the Get Wired blog hop.

Have a great day!

Vickie

Tired of Previews said...

Thanks Vickie! He is really good in this one. Not the typical tough guy we have grown to love. :-)

Katy

Unknown said...

This was good but I bawled my eyes out!

Tired of Previews said...

I know - such a sweet story.