Monday, March 7, 2011

Rango

Directed (and written) by Gore Verbinski, Industrial Light and Magic, 2011. Starring Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty and Bill Nighy.

Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure, Comedy, Family, Western.

Question: Do you ever get really excited to see a movie and then finally watch it and leave disappointed? Well, that is what happened with me with Rango.

I was so looking forward to seeing Rango especially after seeing how they decided to create this film with getting the actors to work together during some scenes instead of standing in a sound box talking to a microphone. But after the first fifteen minutes of enjoyment I soon realized I was slowly becoming bored with the story.

I tried hard to stay focused on the story but I did enjoy all of the movie references, which there are a lot. (FYI - I would love to know all of them). However, as I sat there I felt no likability to the main character: Rango and thought he really wasn't that interesting. There were too many joke set-ups and all the movie references were a bit distracting.

Now on the flip side, the animation was probably the best I have ever seen and I highly recommend that you see it in the theater - do not wait for this one on DVD.  Really, the animation was spectacular and I saw the 2D version.

One last thing: I saw this with 2 girls (1 adult/1 child) and 3 guys (2 adults/1 child) and on average, the girls didn't think it was great but the guys really liked it. My daughter, 9, thought it was a little boring and a bit violent while my son, 11, thought it was awesome.

I haven't read other reviews of this but I would be interested in seeing the average rating between the male and female reviewers. Just curious.

My favorite part: The animation - Stunning!

My least favorite part: The overall story - a bit boring.


Sequel possibility? I think so.

Did the previews show too much? Not really.

Rating: PG
Length: 107 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10

Rango Soundtrack and toys

No comments: